To remove my name from the NDR, the National Drivers Registry,was a tricky task. I missed my court date 5 years earlier by the time I found out my charges stuck and I was put on the National Drivers Registry. I don't know how long the NDR has been operating. Perhaps it didn't exist back when I got my initial dose of bad legal advice? I haven't researched that deep into the history of the NDR yet. Maybe it was formed in the post-9/11 wake of the Patriot Act? If not, don't tell me otherwise, I like to think it didn't exist back then, and that my lawyer / dui attorney gave me sound advice that became outdated.
Getting my name removed off of the NDR / National Drivers Registry would prove to be a long and daunting task in the YEARS to come. Everytime I called the courthouse to make a feeble attempt at settling my case, I was answered with "come back out to CA and turn yourself in." After furthur research I found that a first offense dui/dwi in Riverside County CA can carry a 10 day prison sentence! Wow, that was a tough pill to swallow.
I wasn't planning any trips out to the left coast after hearing that. My next step was to retain an attorney. Because of my subpar credit, I didn't have that option either. I briefly looked into public defenders, but just couldn't find out any info on retaining one. The courthouse was most rude and unhelpful, as I expected them to be. Time passed and years flew by....3 years without a license was too long to withstand. I researched every dui attorney in southern california. I was going for price, not quality...and the cheapest retainer I could find turned out to be more than double than what I was quoted 5 years earlier for the same offense. This was still a cheap price compared to 99% of the CA lawyers I researched. Remember though, you get what you pay for!
Finally, a few months ago, I finally sent out my first payment to my lawyer, and set in motion the steps to get my drivers license back. My lawyer's first step was to recall my bench warrant. Once the warrant was recalled, then he obtain discovery on my case. Once the discovery was obtained, my lawyer gave me a call and prometed a decision on my part...(to be continued in next bl0g)